CAD/GIS Technician (Utility Power Distribution)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Scarborough, ME 04074
The CAD Technician opportunity will require the individual to be a quick study on multiple software packages that are typically used in the Engineering Disciplines. It is helpful to be familiar with the following software but is not restricted to: AutoCAD, Microstation, GIS, Google Earth. Work will include iterative review and incorporation of red-lining from the client or TRC’s Engineering Practice.
The CAD Technician will analyze engineering documentation, sketches, notes, and other input material to determine the best approach to prepare drawings to accomplish the desired end product with proficiency in a fast paced Engineering Firm.
Some key characteristics of the potential candidate to be successful are as follows: known to being a self-starter, a disposition that enables the individual to work in both a team and singular setting, attention to detail, willing to work periodically in the outdoors and good overall judgment. The candidate must also be able to deal with ambiguity that is essential to an often shifting target of deliverables.
Essential Functions of Position:
- Work closely with senior design engineers to develop electric and/or civil utility drawings
- Be familiar with the practices and procedures pertaining to technical matters for electric utilities, cooperatives or municipalities in one or more of the following areas: Distribution Engineering, Electric Utility Construction, GIS and Mapping.
- Maintain a working knowledge of internal and external CADD standards and the drawing database.
Will effectively follow written and oral instruction to accomplish the following tasks:
a) Revise or prepare drawings (CADD and manual) with neatness and a minimum of errors.
b) Assist in the gathering of survey information both in the field and in the office, and the development of plans and maps from related field notes.
c) Perform tasks such as digitizing, copying and scanning of drawings, prints and maps.
d) Assist in the acquisition of on-site field data to accomplish the design or to monitor and evaluate equipment performance.
e) Generate drawing transmittals as may be required.
f) Maintain accurate drawing records by entering and maintaining drawing database information.
g) Self check all work and check the work of others as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience required.
- Associates Degree preferred with 3+ years AutoCAD experience, with demonstrated success in the functions outlined in the above job responsibilities.
- Highly proficient in AutoCAD (experience with 3D platforms a plus).
- Ability to produce accurate work with attention to detail on time and within budget.
- Team oriented and willing to put in the time and effort necessary to see a project through to successful completion.
- Proficient in MS Office programs.
- Proficient in reading and understanding technical drawings and specifications.
- Self-starter that can work with little to no supervision. Strong organizational skills, positive attitude, and an ability to learn quickly.
- Must be able to use computer keyboard and focus attention to PC monitor for prolonged periods.
- Must be proficient with organizational tools related to CAD storage and tracking.
- Ability to operate and maintain CAD equipment, plotter and other drawing reproduction equipment.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled