Desktop Engineer I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Desktop Engineer I
The Desktop Engineer is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of Microsoft Windows and MacOS platforms. They will participate in technical research and development to allow for continuing innovation within the JAX organization. Desktop Engineers ensure that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to JAX’s organizational values and IT goals.
Desktop Engineers are accountable for the following systems: Providing management support to all computers within the company. Developing and designing the company’s desktop computer strategy. Maintaining and creating OS images, packages, and patches. Maintaining all enterprise software by completing updates, security patches and installations. Resolving escalated workstation issues. This also includes software applications, tools, and lab wide projects.
Evaluates, recommends, installs, troubleshoots and maintains computers systems hardware and software to support research and business activities. Interacts with vendors in the evaluation and selection of products and with the vendors support teams to resolve technical issues. Recommends changes in procedures. Participates as a team member in IT cross-functional and Lab wide projects.
- Maintains and supports of the Windows and Mac development and production environments. This includes the testing and development of upgrades and patches for software and hardware/firmware, and reconfiguration of these systems to conform to IT best practices and industry standards. Follows operations processes and documentation in a multiplatform environment. Understands and applies customer service skills needed for each engineering scenario.
- The incumbent understands all components of the JAX Desktop environment including PC and Mac imaging, Antivirus, Software Deployment, Printing, File Shares, GPOs, Logon Scripts, Security Vulnerability remediation, OS Creation and Deployment, Service-Now, image creation/maintenance, and any other aspect of the end user space. Active with hands-on management and execution of large-scale Desktop deployments with our preferred desktop management tools. Acts as 3rd – 4th tier Desktop support escalation for Desktop issue resolution.Effective evaluation, recommendation, installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of computers systems hardware and software to support research and business activities.
Continuous and rapid improvement of Desktop Engineering to meet laboratory demands.
- Possesses knowledge of both Windows or macOS. Installs and maintains operating system and related applications to meet user requirements and to ensure stable performance. Responsible for dealing with hardware and software vendors. Requires knowledge of TCP/IP networking and LAN troubleshooting skills from the station plate to the device. Follows ITIL Incident, Problem and Change Management Processes. Maintains current industry knowledge relative to IT Support responsibilities through courses, webinars, books and self-study.
Technical Hardware and Software Support Analysis
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains computer systems hardware, operating environments, application software, station plate to device networking and peripheral equipment (Printers, Mobile Devices, etc.).
- Will be required to assist with projects that are pertinent to Desktop hardware and software maintenance. These projects will require hands on hardware support or deployment via the Laboratory’s chosen large-scale management method. Will be required to assist with AV setup and support on an as-needed basis. Level I DE’s will be the primary backup to the dedicated site AV Engineer.
- Uses internal, manufacturer, and industry documentation to complete SA duties. Provides updated and meaningful documentation and knowledge transfer of the root cause and resolution to the Service Desk. Works in collaboration with peers to develop and update documentation for IT processes and standard procedures.
New Technology Research
- Maintains current industry knowledge relative to IT technology through courses, webinars, books and self-study.
- Provide metrics relating to Desktop Engineering teams to managers to ensure visibility of trending issues and achievements. Provide status of outages and customer satisfaction to The Jackson Laboratory community for transparency to the organization.
- College degree or combination of certification and experience in IT related field required for all levels.
- Must be willing to obtain vendor certification as soon as training and test examination is available.
- Required 2-4 years of professional experience supporting personal computers and small multi-user systems in a business or academic environment or successfully demonstrated aptitude achieved through documented performance review process.
- Experience provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of Microsoft Windows or MacOS platforms
- Possess and apply broad knowledge of IT principles, practices and procedures to the completion of difficult assignments
- Must follow ITIL Processes
- Skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities as well as multitasking.
- Effective interpersonal relations skills sufficient to permit incumbent to effectively work with a broad range of people from a wide variety of professional disciplines
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with others, orally and in writing as well as the ability to translate technical knowledge to personnel with a broad range of experience/expertise levels. Ability to apply industry best practices in customer service skills.
- Exerting up to 20 – 50 lbs occasionally, 10 – 25 lbs frequently, and up to 10 lbs constantly
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,200 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, Calif., and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX Genomic Medicine is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX Genomic Medicine’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person’s unique genetic makeup.
JAX Genomic Medicine sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians, and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories.
In Connecticut, JAX resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX Genomic Medicine is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems, including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the… For full info follow application link.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.