Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Animal Care and Operations
There is an exciting opportunity available for a Supervisor of Operations at our Bar Harbor facility! The Operations Supervisor is responsible for the daily oversight of all operations within their assigned area. This includes the safe operations of all equipment, the oversight of millions of dollars of fixed and consumable inventory and maintaining high standards of quality required by AALAC, ACUC and LAH. The Operations Supervisor is responsible for all personnel actions within their assigned area to include performance, morale, discipline, training and safety. The Operations Supervisor assures the integrity of the assigned barrier area as directed by LAH and the biosecurity program. The Operations Supervisor is responsible for insuring their assigned staff is well informed and highly and positively motivated to reach operational goals and fulfilling the mission of The Laboratory.
- Productivity and Quality-accountable for work assignments, structure and process flow of assigned work group. The supervisor will insure that all assigned staff are fully trained and capable of performing all assigned tasks.
- Directing-establish and administer a consistent set of operating SOPs, goals and objectives with prescribed standard operating procedures and organizational and departmental policies
- Staffing, Organization & Development-Identify, interview, select and retain staff to meet the area’s objectives. Provide effective training and development programs to identify and develop staff.
- Safety-Work with senior management and safety & health teams to assure a comprehensive safety program is focused on safe work practices and a healthy work environment.
- Communication-Responsible for presentations of operating, business, performance and company policy information to staff and to transmit information in a positive, supportive manner.
- Requires a HS Diploma or GED and 5 years internal or external experience
- Previous supervisory or training experience required
- Must maintain a valid Maine Driver’s License and an ongoing clean driving record
- Knowledge of proper maintenance of assigned mechanical equipment
- Solid, demonstrated computer knowledge of operating systems including MS Office
- Ability to safely operate all models of fork trucks
- Ability to efficiently, effectively and safely operate all types of sterilizers across the operation
- Ability to perform physical tasks on a regular basis of up to be 50 pounds and occasionally lifting 100 pounds
- Ability to learn sanitation methods to meet the criteria needed to maintain the health status and ensure the well-being of mice
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence the behavior of teammates
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive, team player behavior
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, ) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX’s research facility in Bar Harbor, Maine is a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center and a world-renowned expert in mammalian genetics. JAX also has facilities in Sacramento, California, and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Connecticut.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.