Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Portland, ME 04102
JOB PURPOSE: The mission of the Cumberland County Jail is to provide a healthy, safe, secure, humane, and cost effective environment in which to detain persons alleged or convicted of crimes. Corrections Officers ensure a high quality corrections facility by providing for the care, custody, and control of inmates. Supervise inmates in their personal quarters ensuring safety and cleanliness according to established rules and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or equivalent, prefer successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy Basic Corrections Course, or ability to complete the course within the first year of employment. Certified in CPR, or able to obtain certification. Two (2) years post-secondary education desirable. Three (3) years post-secondary employment or a combination of education and employment to equal three (3) years desired. Valid driver’s license required. Must be able and willing to work evenings, nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
• Ensure a safe and secure facility by managing the secure in and out processing, transportation, care and behavior of inmates.
• Ensure quality inmate activities by preparing, executing, and managing lock downs, head counts, recreation, visits, interviews, medical passes and treatment, dining and inmate rehabilitation programs.
• Ensure inmate court appearance by organizing, preparing, executing, and managing transport; maintaining the safety and security of inmates and the public throughout the entire process.
• Meet all corrections facility standards by supervising the cleaning and disinfecting of inmate quarters
and provide necessary linen and supplies.
• Management of Inmates by organizing cell assignments and transfers.
• Ensure inmates follow required behavior standards by supervising recreation, visiting, dining, education, AA meetings and other activities.
• Ensure immediate handling of problems by intervening in inmate altercations.
• Meet all legal requirements by maintaining accurate logs on all significant activity in the housing units.
• Ensure inmates abide by facility rules including performing searches of inmates, inmate’s rooms and the facility.
• Working as a team by assuming assignments in specialized skill areas as trained and assigned.
• Provide for inmate’s needs by organizing, sorting, transporting, delivering and collecting mail.
Cumberland County offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package and is proud of its talented and dedicated workforce. Come join our team and culture of engaged employees. Our strong management team is dedicated to providing employees with inspiring leadership, a positive and friendly workplace, support, encouragement and the necessary tools for success. We offer tuition reimbursement, wellness program, and professional development and training opportunities.
Competitive wages contingent upon qualifications and experience. Pay range for Corrections Officers starts at $19.02, plus applicable shift differential and educational differential, if applicable.
To view a detailed list of essential job functions and download an employment application visit: www.cumberlandcounty.org/jobs Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
Applications may be submitted online by visiting: https://www.cumberlandso.org/227/Employment
Cumberland County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected Veteran status.