Systems Engineer - High Performance Computing (HPC
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Systems Engineer – High Performance Computing (HPC)
is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution internationally recognized for its research excellence and world-class faculty, who perform leading-edge research in the fields of human genomics and mouse genetics. At JAX, our Information Technology is as exciting and progressive as our cutting-edge science.
Reporting to the Manager of IT Applications, the Systems Engineer will work with our computational scientists, system administrators, and other Research IT staff to design, configure, and implement efficient HPC systems in support of scientific research functions and processes.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams for integrating servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies
- Act as project lead in the design and implementation of new server systems and applications, and gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems
- Ensure system uptime of all servers, shared software, enterprise applications, and Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts, and interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Industry certifications for contemporary technologies including Microsoft, VMWare and Citrix and practical application of the technologies in a research, manufacturing and business environment
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field with at least 7 years in a systems engineering role. Additional experience in equivalent systems engineering work may substitute for the degree requirement but will be evaluated in a case-by-case basis.
- Advanced experience in server virtualization, high-availability clusters and disaster recovery planning, system performance tuning, and technology implementation of security and privacy standards for industry and federal regulations including Payment Card Industry and HIPAA
- Working technical knowledge of server programming languages and scripting in a Microsoft and Unix environment, systems integration mechanisms and protocols, network services including DNS and DHCP, authentication systems including certificate services, Kerberos and Radius
- Extensive support experience for enterprise applications including e-mail and messaging, database, virtualization, application delivery systems, security software and monitoring.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft operating systems and/or Unix (Suse, CentOS, RedHat). Specialization in either Microsoft or Unix is acceptable but experience in both is highly desired.
- Working technical knowledge of Storage Area Network, Scale-out Network Attached Storage systems, Tape Libraries and data switches and data center operations.
- Knowledgeable in network switching and routing, firewall and Intrusion detection and prevention systems.
- Advanced knowledge in parallel computing systems including High Performance Compute clusters, symmetrical processing systems and other scale-out and scale-up systems.
- Travel and on-call availability is required
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,200 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, Calif., and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.