Director of Mortgage Banking
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Portland, ME 04101
POSITION SUMMARY: As a member of the Community Bank Leadership Team, the Director of Mortgage Banking is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of residential mortgage lending, including product development; production; processing; underwriting; loan documentation; closing; secondary market sales; vendor and system management; and process improvement. This role is responsible for driving safe, sound, and profitable loan growth that is saleable in the secondary market.
• Develops and articulates a meaningful mortgage banking strategy to increase loan production and manage growth through a strategic vision to meet or exceed established goals.
• Directs sales team and participates in business development activities to originate a broad scope of residential mortgage loans that are saleable in the secondary market; including Conventional (Fannie and Freddie), FHA, RD, USDA, VA, Maine State Housing, and Title I Property Improvement.
• Recruits, develops, and maintains a high performing team of lending and operations support professionals and ensure adequate training and professional development opportunities throughout the department.
• Determines sales strategy across the market geographies by building external relationships in the mortgage industry, setting meaningful mortgage origination goals, and actively participating in community events.
• Oversees the activities of the mortgage support functions including processing, underwriting, loan closing, and secondary market sales.
• Identified and implements effective relationship strategies within sales team to solidify and maximize the effectiveness of various referral networks such as homebuilders, real estate professionals, industry and market stakeholders and organizations. Makes appropriate recommendations for new products or procedures in response to market completion. Makes joint calls with MLO’s and banking center loan origination employees.
• Coaches, leads, and motivates retail banking center employees to refer and/originate loans to meet or exceed sales goals and service excellence standards.
• Holds regular calls/meetings with sales team, reviewing sales strategies, best practices, new products and product enhancements.
• Partners with Marketing to identify, cultivate, and develop approaches to capture customer acquisition.
• Partners with Marketing to develop new content, sales collateral, and tactics to drive sales across multiple channels.
• Partners with Retail Banking to make sure customers receive the right sales messaging and contact points, product experience, life cycle marketing content, offers, and loan fulfillment experience to successfully originate a loan with the Bank.
• Provides comprehensive recruiting support (sources candidates, evaluates candidates, recruits’ candidates) utilizing all available recruiting sources within the market.
• Implements and executes sales-relevant initiatives, involving appropriate staff and participating in topic-specific meetings. Makes decisions and directs staff with an understanding of the strategies and initiatives that need to be accomplished.
• Coordinates the implementation and enhancement of operational policies, procedures, business processes / workflows, and technology with other operational areas of the Bank.
• Continuously monitors the market, customer preferences, and competitor strategies to ensure the Bank’s products features are in line to provide consumers with an outstanding value proposition while increasing market share and profitability levels.
• Ensures that a safe, sound, compliant, and profitable mortgage banking operating platform is always maintained.
• Successfully pass technical and regulatory examinations required by the Company.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent educational/work experience.
• 10 years in a leadership role in the mortgage business from a bank, mortgage company or credit union.
• Proven experience in building both Inside and Outside Mortgage Sales Teams.
• Must possess proven ability to hire, train and grow a sales team as well as a team of processors, underwriters and closers.
• Strong and proven leadership qualities with an interest in cross functional collaboration, teamwork and development of others.
• Experience creating and implementing strategic plans.
• Experience working with secondary market and government loan programs.
• Experience with mortgage loan origination software experience such as MortgageBot.
• Qualify for registration with the National Mortgage Licensing & Registry (NMLS).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND CONDITIONS
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
• Some travel is required
• Must be able to occasionally lift up to 25lbs.
• Consistently operates a computer and other office machinery such as calculator, copy machine and printers.
• Climate controlled general office setting with moderate noise level.
• Must express or exchange ideas and meaning with co-workers, supervisors, customers and vendors.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER