Lead Field Engineer, PSE
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Westbrook, ME 04092
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader that is driving the digital transformation of industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB has four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion, and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by the ABB Ability digital platform. ABB’s Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees.
Industrial Solutions empowers smarter business operations by connecting equipment, software, and services to protect, control, and optimize assets within electrical infrastructures. Across multiple energy-intensive industries, the business provides customers with end-to-end product and service solutions that help ensure the reliability and protection of their electrical infrastructure.
The Lead Field Engineer – Power Systems Engineer ( PSE ) primary duties are to perform power system studies and design activities on industrial electrical power distribution systems such as Stability (Transient and Dynamic), Short Circuit, Coordination, Arc Flash, Load Flow, Motor Starting, Power Factor Correction, Harmonic Analysis, Filter Design and other related studies. Secondary duties included are relay testing and advanced relay testing
- Work directly with customers and GE Sales and Service teams to identify study opportunities, develop and issue proposals and execute work scopes
- Develop knowledge of Energy Services (ES) Terms and Conditions and those of customers and subcontractors, and perform activities to minimize risk and assure compliance
- Perform on-site work in customer facilities to gather study / design data and perform power system measurements when required
- Be knowledgeable of and conduct work activities in compliance with the ES Safety Manual and Safety policy. Prepare study / design reports for delivery to customers. Further expand technical knowledge and expertise. Exercise solid judgment in controlling costs and expenditures of company funds
- Protect the company’s capital investments by properly safeguarding and maintaining that equipment for which responsible. Make contributions to the continued development and refinement of IS Engineering Standards and Procedures as they apply to designated specialty and to conduct work efforts in accordance thereof
- Develop knowledge of Energy Services Terms and Conditions and those of customers and subcontractors, and perform activities to minimize risk and assure compliance
- Strive to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction in all transactions and relationships. Develop and further expand technical knowledge and expertise, currently recognized industry standards for engineering ability
- Plan, prepare, and/or instruct both internal and external training programs as required, to impart and perpetuate field engineering and/or product knowledge in area of specialization
- Perform administrative functions, such as writing technical reports, ordering materials, securing quotations, preparing job status reports, reports to customers, time sheets, and expense sheets on a complete timely, and thorough basis. Maintain knowledge of the report system to the extent required for timely and accurate input of field information necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college (OR a High School Diploma / GED with a minimum of 10 years of experience in a field service or maintenance position). Minimum of 5 years of field engineering experience with power distribution systems. Minimum of 1 year of experience performing power system studies
- Willingness and ability to travel 35% of the time, both domestically and internationally. Willingness and ability to possess / obtain and maintain a valid passport and driver’s license Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
- ABB PSE Certification is highly preferred.
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering is preferred.
- Knowledge of power distribution and utilization equipment and application considerations including the various types of switchgear, relays, breakers, transformers, motors, generators including control and excitation and adjustable speed drives. Knowledge and awareness of the various software packages (Easy Power, SKM and GE PSEC Software) and specific detailed experience on at least one of the commercially available packages
- Knowledge and awareness of relevant international industry standards including IEC, NFPA, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI Standards. Strong customer service. Strong Project Management skills. Leadership experience. Relay testing experience. Relay configuration and networking experience.
- Thorough PC / Windows / Office software literacy including the use of Word for report generation and the development of sophisticated engineering calculation spreadsheets in Excel
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB Inc.
ABB Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites: