Systems Analyst - Cloud
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-CT-Farmington | US-ME-Bar Harbor
Systems Analyst – Cloud
is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution internationally recognized for its research excellence and world-class faculty, who perform leading-edge research in the fields of human genomics and mouse genetics. At JAX, our Information Technology is as exciting and progressive as our cutting-edge science.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Information and Research Technologies, the Systems Analyst will work with the Research IT team to help plan, design, and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research in the Cloud. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding and hands-on experience in Cloud environments, High Performance Computing (HPC) and scientific data management, as well as working collaboratively with researchers and Information Technology staff.
- Based on the scientific needs of faculty and research staff, identify and recommend innovative solutions and integrated proposals for cloud (server, storage, and network) systems; including deployment, installation and administration.
- Architect cloud platforms for research use cases incorporating security best-practices and policies for controlled-access datasets.
- Install and update scientific applications in the Research IT cloud environment, including but not limited to integrating relevant HPC clusters and their associated batch scheduling systems, such as SLURM, SGE or PBS.
- Investigate application issues and document findings. Communicate with scientists to answer questions and troubleshoot problems; provide guidance, support, and advice on Research IT systems.
- Provide technical support internally and to external vendors, including problem resolution for complex cloud systems solutions.
- Benchmark application and workflow performance and determine areas for improved efficiencies.
- Develop and deliver training programs, tutorials, and workshops for scientists on the optimal use of IT resources in their research projects.
- Research and evaluate new products and services for applicability to in-house needs.
- Stay current with new trends and emerging information technologies and informatics tools; advocate for and lead the adoption of these technologies at JAX.
- Assist in preparation for submitting grant proposals.
- PhD in life/natural sciences with 3 years’ experience in imaging data processing and analysis, or Master’s degree in life/natural sciences with 5 years’ experience at a research-focused organization.
- Hands-on experience with a broad spectrum of cloud tools such as:AWS: EC2, S3, IAM, ECS, AWS Batch, EMR, DynamoDB
Google Cloud: Google Genomics, App Engine, Dataproc, BigQuery, Cloud SQL
Azure: Batch, Genomics service, DevOps, RDSExperience with Cloud VPC networking architecture and provisioning tools like Terraform or Google Deployment Manager
- Experience with container technologies like Singularity, Docker, Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with one of the CI/CD technologies like Azure Pipelines, Cloud Build or Jenkins
- Strong technical knowledge of research computing system architecture, hardware components, and software stack.
- Expertise with Unix/Linux systems, shell scripting, C/C++ programming, Python/Perl, and other relevant tools.
- Experience with building, installing, configuring and supporting a wide range of commercial, open-source, and in-house developed scientific applications such as Matlab, R, STATA, MySQL.
- Familiar with Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence frameworks like Tensorflow or Keras.
- Experience with application and algorithm development for heterogeneous parallel computing environments including multicore systems, and systems with GPGPUs.
- A positive attitude and the ability to perform successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop, recommend and execute solutions to complex problems often under time constraints.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with scientists at all levels.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects at the same time and complete projects successfully and on time.
- Technical authority in area of specialty on assigned projects.
- Excellent communication (verbal/written) and presentation skills.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,200 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, Calif., and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX Genomic Medicine is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX Genomic Medicine’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person’s unique genetic makeup.
JAX Genomic Medicine sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians, and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories.
In Connecticut, JAX resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX Genomic Medicine is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems, including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program and an onsite full service cafeteria.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race,… For full info follow application link.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.