Junior Level Environmental Scientist/Geologist
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Scarborough, ME 04074
TRC Companies, Inc., a pioneer in groundbreaking scientific and engineering developments since the 1960s, is a national engineering and environmental consulting firm that provides integrated services to the energy, environmental and infrastructure markets. TRC serves a broad range of clients in industry and government, implementing complex projects from initial concept to delivery and operation.
TRC is seeking a Junior Level Environmental Scientist/Geologist to join our Scarborough, ME Engineering, Construction, and Remediation team. This career-oriented position requires providing clients all aspects of environmental consulting from proposal preparation to project execution. The position focuses on a candidate seeking to continue the development of technical skills, with potential to develop skills to manage projects, existing clients, and workloads. The ideal candidate has experience drafting technical reports and executing field activities. A desire to work with internal business development professionals and senior managers to establish and grow a sustainable client base is required.
Position Responsibilities and Desirable Qualities Include:
- Coordination and oversight of drilling activities, remedial actions, and other subsurface investigations, including classifying soil, and collecting and submitting environmental samples (soil, water, sediment, soil gas, and indoor air) in accordance with state and federal regulations, QA/QC procedures, and established standard operating procedures. Includes scheduling, generation of purchase orders, and contractor procurement.
- Preparation of technical reports including summarization of activities, data interpretation and analysis, drafting of soil boring and monitoring well construction logs, and participation in the development of recommendations and remedial options for a variety of clients and sites. Focus on geologic and hydrogeologic analysis.
- Completion of ASTM-compliant Phase I/II Environmental Site Assessments and other due diligence efforts.
- Working knowledge of and experience with Maine DEP guidance, EPA regulations (including the Brownfields Program), and ASTM standards. Experience with MassDEP and NHDES regulations desired but not required.
- Task management, development of solutions to project challenges, and collaboration with senior staff.
- Ability to make decisions and perform as an independent thinker and leader, but also collaborate with project team personnel.
- Potential to work directly with clients professionally and display service-oriented attitude.
- Desire to advance career knowledge by working closely with senior staff, attending continuing educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, etc.
- Position requires lifting equipment (up to 50 pounds) and working outdoors in all conditions.
- Occasional (10% – 20%) long-distance (overnight) travel.
Basic Position Requirements:
- 1 to 3 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in geology or environmental science, or other related field from an accredited university.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience overseeing drilling activities, sampling activities, remedial actions, and other subsurface investigations, as described above.
- Experience in preparation of technical reports, as described above.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification, including current refresher training.
Preferred Position Requirements:
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- GIT or interest in obtaining professional licensure (PG, CG).
- Experience working with Adobe products and gINT software.
- Experience developing Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plans, Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), hazardous waste contingency plans, emergency response plans, or emergency action plans.
- Experience with environmental remediation technology and remedial systems,
- Experience with landfill systems and construction,
- Experience with geotechnical assessments relating to overseeing of drilling activities and soil logging; and
- Experience performing construction monitoring and oversight.
TRC offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a company match. For more information please visit our website at .
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Augusta, ME – Gabriel Drive – AUN
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled