ECC Designer/Programmer - Engineer (6587) Augusta, ME - 531332601
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Augusta, ME 04330
POSITION – Union: ECC Designer/Programmer – Engineer (6587) Augusta, ME
(Ideal position for an Electrical Engineer / Computer Engineer)
NUMBER OF OPEN POSITIONS: 1
LOCATION: CMP-ME-Augusta General Office
Responsible for specification development, implementation into production use, operational support and maintenance of the Energy Management System, encompassing a variety of functional software systems and third party applications. Provide the technical means and methodologies to allow Power System Dispatchers to operate and maintain a secure and reliable Transmission System assuring customer reliability.
- Maintains complex proprietary computer programs, SCADA, Network Model, and Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS) databases, along with dynamic displays which are used to dispatch the power system. Required to prepare written reports explaining operation variances of programs for vendors.
- Performs primary responsibilities for multiple EMS subsystems to include but not limited to Data Acquisition Control (DAC), Historical Data, Dispatcher Graphical User Interface (GUI), Intercontrol Center Communication Protocol (ICCP), Power System Analysis and Real Time Calculations.
- Performs engineering studies and prepares written reports using power system analysis software included with the Energy Management System and other software utilities such as PSEE and/or PSLF as adopted by the company for similar purposes.
- Performs administrative tasks associated with the maintenance of the EMS and associated support systems. Include; operating systems, relational database management systems, communication front-end components, network infrastructure and software applications that comprise a number of functional subsystems key to the operation of a critical business system.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose problems within EMS utilizing various software programs and utilities. May require working with vendor support.
Implement and maintains infrastructure and procedures for Disaster recovery, essential data backup of application software, operating systems, historical data, network configuration and similar data required to restore the EMS to production operation and necessary to maintain business continuity and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Represents the Company on internal and external task forces or working groups as appointed.
- Develop custom applications to support changing operational requirements, system improvements, and other customer needs.
- Provide real time power system data upon request to external departments and other entities as required to fulfill business and compliance objectives.
- Perform integration and testing of new EMS upgrades, and software patches. This may require travel and extended stays at Vendor’s factory site.
- Maintains up-to-date documentation and procedures that define the operability of the infrastructure.
- Provide departmental cross-training as well as assist in training Dispatcher staff.
- Coordinate with external departments in the commissioning of field devices, ensuring correctness and accuracy of device inputs as it relates to the Energy Management System and consistent with departmental requirements.
- Provide H/W support as required to ensure continuous operation of critical EMS functionality.
- Provides for hardware backup, and identifies additional required skills to include Fortran and SQL.
- Other ancillary duties related to the core functions of the job as assigned.
Skills and Requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- 24hour standby required.
- Willingness to broaden skill set to accommodate changing requirements.
- Proficiency to work independently or in a group and willing to share knowledge.
- Proficiency using relational databases.
- Provides support and guidance within the group.
- Provides training within the group.
- Proficiency using a CAD program.
- Able to analyze, debug and develop software programs using programming languages; C, C++, perl, unix shell scripting and Visual Basic.
- Proficiency with operating systems; Unix and Windows2000.
- Able to troubleshoot and isolate problems on a distributed computer network.
- Familiar with the dynamics of a complex power system network.
- Knowledge of communication protocols, networking concepts and ICCP.
- Ability to streamline manual processes via automation using innovative techniques.
- Familiar with database structured query language, SQL and methods for retrieving data via direct SQL or ODBC.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited electrical engineering or computer science program.
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nearest Major Market: Waterville
Nearest Secondary Market: Augusta Maine
Job Segment: Power Systems, Energy