Research Assistant I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Research Assistant I
Research Associate, Research Assistant and Technician/Technologist
The laboratory of Dr. Basile Tarchini at The Jackson Laboratory is looking for a highly dedicated full-time Research Assistant. Our laboratory conducts competitive academic research to uncover the molecular basis of hearing and balance. We are particularly interested in understanding how sensory cells in the inner ear deploy a “motion sensor” compartment to detect sounds and head movements.
- Management of our mouse colony, including PCR-based genotyping.
- The Research Assistant will also be involved in molecular biology experiments, tissue collection and dissection, microscopy and more.
- Some light laboratory management tasks will also be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 1-3 years of related experience required. Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree preferred.
- Ability to work with mice on a daily basis (previous experience is not mandatory).
- Very strong work ethic, positive, proactive and responsible behavior, and natural organization skills.
- Prior experience in molecular biology, cell culture, tissue handling or biochemistry preferred.
- Good manual skills and good visual depth perception (an asset to master microdissection of the inner ear using a stereomicroscope).
- Willingness to learn and interact positively with colleagues.
- We are looking for a minimum 2-year committment. Importantly, the position strictly requires 40 hours of effective work per week.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.