Field Engineer I - Generator Specialist
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Portland, ME 04103
FieldCore, a GE company, is a new, independent industrial field services company that will deliver the highest standard of field services excellence and capabilities for GE and its customers. FieldCore will bring together the field services expertise and people from both Granite Services and GE’s Power Services into one powerhouse. Driven by the values of safety, quality, and integrity, FieldCore will be built to deliver operational excellence for customers in the power generation, oil & gas, nuclear, and wind power markets. For more information, check out
The Generator Specialist Technical Field Advisor (TFA) provides on-site technical direction to customer-owned utility and industrial power plants for their Turbine Generator Systems. Responsible for reviewing plant engineering documents and P&ID’s, troubleshooting of plant systems and equipment, planning, organizing, integrating and direction of resources such as labor, tools and materials as required to complete the work scope according to contractual requirements.
The primary responsibility of the Generator Specialist, is to safely accomplish the maintenance and repair of the heavy duty generators used in power generation applications
- Perform inspection and testing of the generator field and stator utilizing the latest technology. (MAGIC Jr. & Sr. inspection, Digital/Analog EL-CID, Flush and Bake skid (FAB), Quick skid, Capacitance Mapping, Tracer Gas, Vacuum Decay, Pressure Decay, 60 Hertz AC HIPOT test set, Wedge Tapping, Computer Based Reporting tool), Epoxy Injection, UT Flow, Hazmat training and other topics as business needs arise
- Direct and perform repair or inspection procedures utilizing the latest electronic communication, references and documentation technologies.
- Recognize, Predict and document potential generator failures.
- Present to the customer accurate generator quality issues as presented and selected by Generator Product Service and regional generator specialists.
- Familiarity with Power Circuit Breakers, Protective Relay Systems, AC and DC Motors / Generators, Programmable Logic Controllers
- Working knowledge of basic electrical circuits and electrical troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of prints/print reading, such as manufacturing drawings, P&IDs and schematic drawings
- Participate as a Service Team member dedicated to Safety metrics.
- Pre-outage planning; possibly recommending and administering policies and procedures
- Lead execution of projects, including: generator field and stator rewinds, general generator repairs, and inspections
- Execute project management and technical leader duties. Support warranty administration and troubleshooting issues
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Technical/University degree or qualifying experience OR a High School Diploma / GED with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a Field Services role
- Minimum of 1 years of experience in Oil & Gas or power plant maintenance, turbine generator maintenance or power plant equipment installation/commissioning
- Demonstrated progressive, responsible experience with various types of turbine generator equipment and site accountabilities is required
- Extensive travel to and from projects and various field assignments will be required.
- Trainee level. Most new hires with little experience on the GE Product will start in this level. Participates in on the job training.
- Experience and training on Alstom, Siemans or other OEM equipment is preferred
- Good attitude to manage relationships with customers, concerning technical and contractual aspects.
- Follow up all quality aspects according to six sigma approach and GE QA manual and procedures.
- Working knowledge and application of EHS rules.
- Effective communication to HQs, through company e-tools (VC4/NCM – e-SMS).
- Good organizational skills
- Prior project management experience
- Good project management skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills
- Good business acumen and ability to sell GE products to the customer
FieldCore is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law