Extension Crops Entomology Educator (id:59981)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Presque Isle, ME 04769
Statement of the Job:
This position with the University of Maine Cooperative Extension has a primary responsibility to conduct educational programming related to the management of insect and other pests that limit potato and rotational crop production in Maine. A secondary responsibility is to conduct applied research related to pest management that supports the educational program. Collaboration is required with Extension faculty, as well as with faculty in the School of Biology and Ecology, the School of Economics, and other University of Maine units relative to potato and rotational crops research.
Complete job description.
About the University:
The University of Maine is a community of more than 11,200 undergraduate and graduate students, and 2,500 employees located on the Orono campus and throughout the state. UMaine is the state land and sea grant university and maintains a leadership role as the System’s flagship university. As a result, it is dedicated to providing excellent teaching, research, and service at the university, state, and national levels.
Further information about UMaine can be found at https://umaine.edu/
The University of Maine offers a wide range of benefits for employees including, but not limited to, tuition benefits (employee and dependent), comprehensive insurance coverage including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and short and long term disability as well as retirement plan options. As a former NSF ADVANCE institution, the University of Maine is committed to diversity in our workforce and to dual-career couples.
Presque Isle is the largest city in Aroostook County, Maine’s gigantic, northernmost county. It’s linked to the state by road and to the rest of the northeast by scheduled jet service at the Presque Isle International Airport. Presque Isle’s weather is warm and humid in summer, cold and snowy (and favored by skiers and snowmobilers) in winter. Presque Isle is the largest town in Maine’s Aroostook county and also home to Aroostook State Park – Maine’s first state park. The Aroostook County towns of Houlton, Danforth, Caribou and Fort Kent are part of the North Maine Woods which attract outdoor enthusiasts to 3.5 million acres of unspoiled, natural wilderness. A guided canoe trip of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway in the summer provides a 92-mile chain of lakes, ponds and rivers where you will witness wildlife, birds and untouched natural scenery. For more information about the Presque Isle area, please click here.
This position requires:
- Master’s Degree in entomology or closely-related field
- Experience in Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Demonstrated skill in developing and delivering educational programs
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct applied research in response to agricultural industry needs
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with other agencies and organizations, including private industry
- Potato or closely related crop production experience
- Computer and mobile device proficiency
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to be self-motivated and directed
- Travel in-state, normally requiring a valid Maine driver’s license, is required with mileage reimbursement at the contract rate and some limited national or international travel
- Ability to secure a Maine Pesticide Applicator’s license within the first 6 months of employment
This position prefers:
- Knowledge of Cooperative Extension, the Land Grant University, the Maine potato industry and agriculture in the state of Maine
- Extension or outreach education experience
- Demonstrated success in obtaining research funding
- Experience and skills in supervising others
- Experience seeking participation from and working with diverse audiences
Materials must be submitted via “Apply For Position” below. You will need to create a profile and application; upload
1.) a cover letter which describes your experience, interests, and suitability for the position
2.) a resume/curriculum vitae
3.) contact information for three professional references.
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Materials received after the initial review date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
Appropriate background checks are required.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Amie Parker, Interim Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
Position Title: Extension Crops Entomology Educator (id:59981)
Department: Cooperative Extension – OCES
Bargaining Unit: AFUM
Location: Presque Isle, ME
Length: Fiscal Year (12 Months)
Required Documents: Cover Letter, References, Resume/CV