Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Animal Care and Operations
The Necropsy Service is currently seeking a Necropsy Technician/Technologist for our Bar Harbor, ME location!
Please note that hours will be M-F: 7:00 – 3:30, M-F
Necropsy Technician/Technologists are responsible for performing tasks associated with mouse necropsy procedures to support the CMQ mouse health monitoring program and/or collecting tissue samples to support JAX research programs and fulfill JMCRS orders. The Necropsy Technician/Technologist will also participate in routine laboratory maintenance (preparing solutions, ensuring workstation and laboratory cleanliness) and perform routine administrative tasks (project documentation, contribute to monthly billing, and ordering supplies).
- Sample Collection & Preparation – perform necropsies and tissue collection procedures following established SOPs and quality assurance program.
- Laboratory & Waste Mgmt – ordering supplies, preparing solutions, cleaning work areas and equipment or collecting waste in appropriate waste streams and contacting the EHS&S Dept. as needed for removal.
- Administrative/Professional Development – responsible for entering case curation information, and project documentation and data into the departmental data management systems: the CMQ Sampletracker Db, the iLab request and billing system, and the developing Core Informatics Db. Contribute to monthly billing and attend staff meetings. Maintain professional development through attendance at relevant seminars, courses and workshops; maintain certifications.
- High School Diploma/Equivalency
- ALAT (AALAS) Certification required or willingness to achieve certification
- Knowledge of mouse anatomy and experience in mouse handling, typically acquired through a minimum of one year’s experience working with mice
- Computer Skills: Office 365 (Outlook, Word, and Excel) and capability to learn data management systems (Microsoft Teams, iLab, Core Informatics, etc.)
Technologist must also have:
- 3-8 years’ experience in rodent necropsy techniques.
- ALAT or LAT (AALAS) certification is required
Please submit an updated resume!
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, pre-employment physical, drug test and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.