Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Waterville, ME 04901
SUMMARY OF MAJOR FUNCTION
Responsible for patient vital signs, drawing blood, administering shots
to patients. Assists in the functions of a Patient Service
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND WORK ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists in the examination of a patient with a licensed provider.
2. Responsible for drawing/processing blood, collecting urine specimens,
urine pregnancy tests, rapid strep tests, EKG’s, A1C, INR with proper
identification and documentation.
3. Administer immunizations/injections, minor office procedures, EKG’s
per provider orders.
4. Evaluates and documents patient vital signs.
5. Prepares and records patient information including prescriptions.
6. Refills prescriptions when requested by the provider.
7. Scribing with the provider.
8. Maintains charts including the daily filing/scanning of medical
correspondence in EMR or paper chart.
9. Responsible for daily, weekly and monthly inspections to include
refrigerator/freezer logs, EKG, oxygen tanks, AED, Nebulizer, medication
10. Observes universal precautions while performing phlebotomy and
handles all specimens as being able to transmit disease.
11. Responsible for properly cleaning and packaging instruments to be
sent for sterilization.
12. Explains to the best of ability the procedure and purpose of
13. Responsible for urine drug screen/medication agreement/pill counts
with applicable patients including proper documentation.
14. Stocks/orders medical supplies as well as laundry.
15. Responsible for managing and maintaining State Immunization Portal.
16. Works with the rest of the practice team on quality data through
17. Responsible for obtaining prior authorizations for patient
18. Observes patient confidentiality with patients and fellow employees.
19. Seeks assistance, guidance and direction when unsure of procedures
and protocols in performance of duties.
20. Maintains and updates medical records to include flow sheeting of
directives and clinical observation terms.
21. Assist provider as directed in splitting, casting and wound care.
22. Adheres to Joint Practice Protocols.
23. Complies with Inland Hospital Hand Hygiene Standards.
24. Adheres to the Inland Hospital Standards of Behavior.
25. Perform all other duties as assigned.
Exposed to all patient specimens including, humans waste all types of
body fluids, including HIV/HBV positive blood. Unpleasant smells may be
encountered in working with specimens. Exposure to dangerous substances
is sometimes unavoidable.
Work involves standing and or walking 90% of the time. Constant hand
motion involved with writing, typing, and answering the telephone. Some
duties require standing, wide freedom of movement, stooping, bending,
lifting, pushing or pulling (<30lbs). Frequent periods of
concentration and close attention to detail.
1. Maintain a safe environment which includes knowing and understanding
hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
2. Report and directly address identified environmental hazards when
3. Report and directly address violations of patient safety policy
and/or protocol when involved or observed.
4. Other duties as requested by Director.
Failure to follow established procedures could result in needle sticks.
Back injury or strains from lifting, bending (over patients), or pulls
and strains from repetitive hand motions. Exposure to blood and/or body
PROBABILITY AND CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Laboratory testing requires accuracy, precision, and alertness along
with critical values. Errors could result in injury to patients and
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE JOB
Excellent communications skills and the ability to deal effectively with
the patients, providers and employees.
High School Degree or equivalent. Graduated from an Accredited Medical
Assistant Program. Associates Degree Preferred. Required
Certification from AAMA or AMT required within 90 days of hire date.
Previous experience in a medical office.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED