Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Facilities, Security, Custodial, Hospitality
The Jackson Laboratory Security Services Department is hiring a full time, 2nd Shift, Security Officer for its Bar Harbor, Maine campus. Working under limited supervision, this position is responsible for ensuring the safety of all employees, visitors, contractors and guests as well as protecting all property and assets of The Jackson Laboratory. Responsible for staffing and monitoring at assigned post/stations and the Security Operation Center as well performing patrol rounds as assigned and necessary. Responds to emergencies as necessary and providing assistance as needed. Security Services provides 24/7 coverage at The Jackson Laboratory and shift hours may include day/evening/overnight and weekend/holiday hours as required.
Monday – Friday, 2nd Shift 2:00 pm – 10:30 pm
- Quickly responds to a variety of emergencies on foot and vehicle (if necessary), rendering aid to employees, visitors, contractors and guests. Assists emergency responders as necessary. Utilizes Emergency Mass Notification system if necessary.
- Responsible for the continued protection of all Jackson Laboratory assets and property.
- Performs security effort across the campus – monitoring of security systems/alarms/telephones and radios. Responds to requests for assistance including door unlocks, escorts, security system overrides, granting access permissions on security systems
- Maintains Basic First Aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation certifications and renders aid when needed.
- Previous security experience preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent, college coursework or associate’s degree in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement or other emergency response discipline preferred.
- Ability to read and record security control systems and alert personnel/management of critical/unusual situations.
- Successful proven record of written and oral communication skills sufficient to permit clear and effective exchange of information.
- Ability to remain calm during emergencies and critical events – Ability to multi-task and perform duties under pressure and in stressful situations.
- The ability to use appropriate judgment and decision-making skills necessary to carry out all required security procedures without supervision is essential.
- Demonstrated team player with professional, positive attitude and willingness to be flexible.
- Regular, reliable and consistent attendance in accordance with departmental and Laboratory guidelines.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please submit resume to complete application! Please also note that the successful candidate will be subject to and must pass additional, extensive background screening.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.