Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Education and Education Support
The Summer Student Program is a signature education program of The Jackson Laboratory. The Resident Advisor(s) implements the residential life program within the JAX Summer Student Program including day-to-day logistics and recreational activities. With oversight and guidance from the Resident Supervisor and the Program Director of the Summer Student Program, the Resident Advisor fosters programmatic harmony through communication and problem-solving, and ensures student safety through awareness and compliance with JAX policies. By organizing social and recreational activities, the RA generates excitement, builds community, and fosters inclusion and a sense of fun and team spirit throughout the program.
- Implement day-to-day logistical components of the residential life program, with a focus on student safety. These include but are not limited to: leading sessions during student residential orientation, shared oversight of daily student arrivals and departures from the student residence, transportation of students in vans, facilitating routine and emergency medical care, participation in on-duty supervision schedules, and facilitating student compliance with residential policies, procedures, and traditions.
- Maintain informal communication, rapport, and personal presence, leading to a high level of awareness of individual student needs and challenges, with a focus on student well-being.
- Implement recreational components of the residential life program, with a focus on risk management. These include but are not limited to: whitewater rafting, a camping trip in Maine, program-sponsored travel to Boston or New York City, and other ad hoc activities.
- Candidates must demonstrate ability and strong desire to work in a residential education and research environment, including outstanding near-peer communication, leadership, organization, and mentoring skills. Must be a self-motivated, team-oriented, patient and disciplined problem solver and solution builder.
- Must have prior experience as a JAX intern including either the Summer Student Program or research internship.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must hold a valid US drivers license and be able to transport groups of students in a van provided by JAX.
- Must reside at the student residence for the full period of the Summer Student Program, approximately June 1 through August 15, including orientation and other activities that occur before and after the students depart.
Preferred experience includes: prior work as a residential life staffer in a college or university setting, service as a peer mentor or teacher, and experience organizing recreational or residential programs. The ideal candidate is a recent or near college graduate pursuing a career or higher education in a STEM field. Please submit letter of interest and resume as one document to complete application process. Please carefully review the above information for eligibility.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX, ) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. A National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine, a facility in Sacramento, California, and a genomic medicine facility, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), in Farmington, Connecticut.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.