Director, Security Services
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Director, Security Services
Facilities, Security, Custodial, Hospitality
The Director, Security Services manages, administers, coordinates, plans, and implements systems and policies which provide personal, laboratory animal, equipment, and real property security throughout all Jackson Laboratory properties (located in ME, CA, CT). The Director develops and implements strategic security plans and assumes responsibility and accountability for organizational unit and staff performance. The Director also develops and administers budgets for all locations.
The Director will have oversight for 3-5 Security Supervisors across the country and has 20+ indirect full time and part-time reports. They will be responsible for the leadership, development and mentoring of assigned staff ensuring a professional and highly competent Security team capable of developing and maintaining a safe and secure environment for employees and research animals.
The Director is responsible for developing, maintaining and implementing ongoing programs including but not limited to Emergency Preparedness and Response; Travel Security; and Workplace Violence Prevention and Response.
This position will be based in Bar Harbor, Maine with quarterly travel to Farmington, Connecticut and Sacramento, California.
- Performs and coordinates formal and informal risk and threat assessments/analysis for Jackson Laboratory owned and operated facilities and develops, communicates, and implements organizational Security strategy and physical security master plan for each JAX site. Designs, implements, and conveys a comprehensive security program ensuring compliance with all Facilities Services and Jackson Laboratory policies and procedures. Establishes and documents security system and hardware standards for incorporation into JAX Construction Design Standards.
- Primary responsibility for developing and implementing strategic direction for staff recruitment, retention and staff career development for Security department. Develops and mentors supervisors on skills to provide a positive, supportive work place experience that encourages teamwork that is equipped with the knowledge and techniques to address the demands of the department. Also this position works with HR on difficult employee issues. Ensure staff is appropriate in number and expertise to meet demands. Facilitate communication between individuals on their team and appropriate individuals to ensure requirements are met to customer goals and expectations in a careful, efficient manner.
- Develops departmental goals and objectives; recommends, implements, and administers policies and procedures to enhance security posture, service delivery, and operational effectiveness. Plans, develops, and manages campus security services, including staffing requirements, continuous internal auditing of facilities and security programs. Provides justification to support training and development investment for assigned staff.
- Researches and deploys state of the art technology solutions and innovated security management techniques with Security Operations Center(s), CCTV systems, electronic access control systems, and other technology based Security tools and assets to safeguard organizations employees, assets, and intellectual property. Selects, trains, and develops a team of site specific security supervisors. Develops and manages departmental budget ensuring that costs are maintained within established limits.
- Develops relationships with and serves as primary contact point for contractors, external vendors, and external law enforcement and other emergency response agencies in all jurisdictions by establishing personal contact and regular interactions.
- Develops, implements, and maintains facility enterprise Emergency Preparedness and Response program, establishes roles and responsibilities of JAX managerial personnel, creates written EPR manual, prepares, participates in, and/or leads table top and simulation exercises on quarterly or semi-annual basis, maintains currency of document and procedures.
- Develops, maintains and implements an ongoing Workplace Violence Prevention Program and Response Team. Provides training for employees and supervisors on current information relating to preventing and responding to acts of violence in the workplace.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an area of study relevant to this position.
- 10+ years of facilities or institutional security experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to provide direction to management and professional staff within the organization including ability to lead and inspire others effectively both within Security Services organization and across all departments and locations.
- Understanding of and ability to effectively and efficiently operate current electronic security equipment and computer-based security programs. Advanced and demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite, MS Project or equivalent, Web applications, enterprise access control and CCTV systems, incident reporting, etc.
- Ability to develop consensus within a diverse organizational climate and effectively develop, plan, budget for, and implement short and long range goals and Security related projects.
- ASIS CPP certification or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire.
- American Red Cross first aid and CPR certification (or completed within six months).
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, ) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,300 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine; JAXWest; a facility in Sacramento, CA, and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM); a new genomic medicine facility in Farmington, CT that is enabling the Laboratory to translate its fundamental science into the clinic. In addition to its National Cancer Center Institute-designated Cancer Center, the Laboratory also has initiated a cancer research laboratory in Seoul, Korea.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and… For full info follow application link.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.