Principal Project Engineer, Mech
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Saco, ME 04072
Job LocationsUS-VT-Williston | US-ME-Saco
Principal Project Engineer, Mech
A Principal Project Engineer role at GD-OTS offers you the opportunity to be continuously challenged and allows you to demonstrate your skills and talent in a highly collaborative environment. If you see yourself as a versatile individual, broadened experiences and career advancement are within your control.
We are about supporting the warfighter. We are about developing advanced rotary cannons, high speed ammunition handling systems, gun turrets, crew served weapons and other electro-mechanical technologies. Our products can be found with every U.S. military branch and with allies around the world.
Come join our incredible team and know that you will be making a difference in the mission of our warfighter.
The Principal Project Engineer provides technical leadership for assigned programs and product lines, defines the technical approach and resource requirements of the technical project, and has extensive experience with military weapons to enable successful program execution. Guided by company policies and established practices, leads projects moderate in size with minimal supervision by management.
This position is dual posted for our Williston, VT Operations and Saco, ME Operations*
Major Position Responsibilities
The Principal Project Engineer is responsible for:
- Implementation and execution of company Engineering design processes
- Development, maintenance, and execution of program specific technical requirements, objectives, and plans
- Development, maintenance, and execution of engineering staffing plans and the schedule for the technical effort
- Review and approval of program specific technical designs and engineering work products
- Development, maintenance, and execution of program specific risk management activities
- Providing the primary technical interface with the customer, management, and functional organizations
- Developing and justifying engineering changes for improving functionality and manufacturability
- Ensuring that new and modified product designs are producible and affordable
- Leading the program team in applying engineering theory and creativity in design, analysis, fabrication, and test
- Leading failure analysis investigations, including formal root cause and corrective action
- Authoring test plans that will effectively and efficiently verify requirements compliance
- Identifying facility, test equipment, and data acquisition needs to support testing
- Conducting engineering tests and documenting results in formal reports
- Participating in the nonconforming material review board (MRB) as the MRB Engineering authority
- Analyzing and dispositioning nonconforming material and developing rework and/or repair plans
- Supporting customer demonstrations onsite and at customer facilities
- Quickly and efficiently solving problems in the supply base and factory to support the manufacturing process
The Principal Project Engineer will demonstrate proficiency in more than one engineering discipline or in a scientific discipline, and must possess or be capable of rapidly developing the following skills and knowledge areas:
- Project management fundamentals needed to ensure successful planning and execution of the technical project
- Technical fundamentals needed to make decisions that ensure safe and reliable operation of products
- Fundamental knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing needed to read and interpret product definition
- Failure analysis, root cause, and corrective action tools and techniques needed to quickly and efficiently solve problems
- Technical writing skills needed to effectively communicate at all levels within and outside the organization
- Ability to author test plans and reports needed to verify requirements compliance
- Verbal communication and presentation skills needed to align team actions with project objectives
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, Assembly, and Cost (DFM/DFA/DTC) tools and techniques
- Ability to estimate manpower requirements needed to support project objectives
- Ability to plan and estimate work in support of proposals
- Use of computer aided engineering tools
- Use of Microsoft Office tools, including Microsoft Project
Required: Bachelor’s degree in an applicable engineering, technical, or science discipline or equivalent experience.
Desired: Master’s degree in an applicable engineering, technical, or science discipline.
Desired: American Society for Quality (ASQ) Certified Quality Engineer (CQE)
Required: 6-8 Years of Applicable Experience
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer – Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled