Nursing Unit Assistant (Casual/Per Diem)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Scarborough, ME 04074
Looking for a new career in nursing! We are offering CNA classes in which you are paid for the hours you are in class as well as clinical hours. The course is free and you can get a jump start by working as a unit assistant until you have completed the CNA course successfully. Our next class starts in February! Apply today to be contacted by a member of our team.
POSITION SUMMARY:The Unit Assistant works under the direction of the licensed nurse and assists the nursing staff in providing nonpatient care activities while achieving positive clinical outcomes and patient/family satisfaction. He/she will perform various nonpatient care activities and related non-professional services essential to caring for the needs and comfort of patients.
1. Manages patient personal belongings;
2. Ensure water pitchers are changed regularly;
3. Makes unoccupied beds;
4. Partners with the caregiving team to assist in gathering supplies for care and assuring efficient care delivery.
5. Ensures patients are ready for scheduled rehab therapy and transports patients to rehab area;
6. Notifies licensed nurse if patient identification is missing;
7. Assist with the dining program as assigned. Assists with feeding patients in accordance with the Feeding Assistant Program once successfully completed. Provides additional nourishment and hydration per patient care plans;
8. Records patient’s oral intake and output;
9. Uses Point Click Care (PCC — ADL POC) according to the Business Processes, if applicable;
10. Answers call light or bell promptly, delivers messages, cleans areas of spillage or accidents;
11. Uses Standard precautions when entering rooms for all residents. Adheres to Contact and/or Droplet Precautions as indicated;
12. Participates in the orientation of new Unit Assistants;
13. Reports changes in patient’s condition, patient/family concerns or complaints to charge nurse and/or supervisor;
14. Collects and bags soiled linen and delivers to dirty linen area;
15. Obtains clean linens and supplies from supply areas, cleans utility rooms, kitchen areas and all other nursing areas, as assigned;
16. Cleans patient equipment as assigned;
17. Transfers patient’s belongings and equipment as directed;
18. Assists with patient discharge as requested;
19. Promotes a culture of safety to ensure a healthy practice and living environment;
20. Collaborates and coordinates with other departments to provide timely effective care consistent with individual’s needs, choices and preferences;
21. Contributes to an environment that is respectful, team-oriented, and responsive to the concerns of staff, patients and families;
22. Participates in quality improvement activities as requested;
23. Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive Protected Health Information (PHI) at all times;
24. Performs other duties as requested.
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL/VOCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:1. A minimum of a high school education or high school equivalency diploma is preferred.2. Basic knowledge of computer use or willingness to learn preferred.3. This position requires that the employee is able to read, write, speak and understand the spoken English language to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our patients and visitors at the work site when responding to their medical and physical needs.4. Must provide verification of TST (tuberculin skin test) as required by state law and in accordance with Company policy. TSTs will be administered at the work site if required.
Position Type: Casual/Per Diem
Req ID: 328051
Center Name: Pine Point Center
Genesis HealthCare, Inc. and all affiliated entities (collectively, “Genesis”) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, actual or perceived disability, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, amnesty, military status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Genesis takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans. These policies are fully supported by the CEO, COO and all members of the leadership team. If you require any reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in completing the online application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact (877)456-6726. This phone number is for ADA related accommodation requests only, not for routine employment inquiries.