Mortgage Loan Underwriter
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Portland, ME 04101
POSITION SUMMARY: Examines, underwrites, and approves or denies real estate transactions. Responsible for assuring that all mortgage transactions meet the guidelines, rules and regulations of State and Federal Regulators and all insurers (Private Mortgage Insurance, FHA, VA, RD). Responsible for assuring that secondary market loans are of investment quality –it is the underwriter’s responsibility when approving transactions to assure that all reps and warrants are accurate in an effort to avoid loans being repurchased by any investor.
• Analyzes applicants’ financial status, credit and property evaluation to determine feasibility of extending credit.
• Possesses ability and knowledge to work effectively with lenders, customers and brokers on all loan programs and products.
• Advises MLO on alternative financing when available.
• Underwrites loans in accordance with bank, investor and/or insurer guidelines.
• Knowledge of FNMA, FHLMC, RD, FHA, and VA products.
• Assures compliance of all loans with appropriate regulations –Including State, Federal and any specific investor overlays.
• Provides assistance and guidance to loan administrative staff.
• Establishes and maintain effective working relationships with MLOs, vendors, management and clients.
• Successfully pass technical and regulatory examinations by the Company.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Intermediate computer and word processing
• Strong analytical and decision making skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Knowledge of basic office equipment
• Basic accounting skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Associates degree in an appropriate field or high school diploma and relevant experience
• 2 year history as a Mortgage Underwriter
• FHA DE Underwriter designation preferred
• VA LAPP approval preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND CONDITIONS
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
• Must be able to occasionally lift up to 20lbs.
• Consistently operates a computer and other office equipment such as calculator, copy machine and printers.
• Climate controlled general office setting with moderate noise level.
• Must express or exchange ideas with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Northeast Bank is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national original, veteran status and any other classification protected by Law.