Wind Composite Blade Technician
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Portland, ME 04103
The Composite Blade Technician I will be responsible for the internal and external inspections, defect analysis, and Category 1-3 repair of fiberglass and composite blades, spinners, and nacelles from all categories. The position will also be responsible for providing maintenance support and performing large component replacements of wind turbine generators. The technicians will be required to document the findings, and assemble all associated paperwork as required to be posted for further action.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Inspect and photograph internal and external blade damage, document findings, and assemble all associated paperwork as required to be posted for further action by Engineering
- Perform coating and minor structural repairs on internal and external blade surfaces, tip repair, leading and trailing edge repair while following guidelines provided by Engineering with locations both up tower and down tower
- Utilize blade access platforms at heights of 300ft or more
- Help in all areas of site preparation (i.e. coordination of labor and materials) with minimal supervision
- Document all work performed using computer-based service reporting procedures
- Communicate site status to engineering, customers, and management
- Provide maintenance support and perform large component replacement of wind turbine generators
- Provide wind turbine generator LOTO (Lock Out & Tag Out) support
- Understand basic lamination principles and postcuring
- Install vortex generators (serrations, panels, vains, and flow anchors)
- Travel may be required
- Ability and willingness to work holidays, weekends and overtime as required by field assignments
- Ability and willingness to work in all weather conditions
- Ability and willingness to possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- High School Diploma / GED
- Minimum of 1 year of composite repair experience (OR Graduate of a Wind Tech and/or Composite program)
- English Proficiency Required
- Training will include and must successfully complete
? Tower Safety Training (LOTO)
? Suspended Platform Rigging/De-Rigging
- Ability to read and understand wiring schematics
- Ability and willingness to take initiative and work without direct supervision
- Blade access platforms experience
- Lightning protection system inspections knowledge
- Understand technology of wind blade construction and repair
- Understanding of mix ratios for all blade repair chemicals
- Understanding of blade assembly terminology
- Candidates must be able to climb a 300 feet wind tower multiple times per day.
- Candidates must be able to walk across the hub and, in the event of an emergency, repel off.
- Must be comfortable working at heights of up to 300+ feet.
- Must meet specific weight requirements of tower ladders under OSHA standards of 250 to 300 lbs. max, including personal protective equipment (approx. 30-35lbs).
- Must be comfortable working in confined space(s).
- Must be able to see and move throughout site to resolve work problems and facilitate processes; repetitive motion activities may be involved.
- Occasional kneeling and squatting
- Frequent climbing, walking, and standing, and bending.
- Ability and willingness to handle repetitive weight up to 50 lbs
- Successful completion of the climb test and tower rescue training.
FieldCore, a GE company, is an independent, industrial field services organization focused on World-Class Execution across the power generation and oil & gas industries. We have brought together more than 12,000 of the foremost experts in field services to focus on one thing; delivering excellent outcomes for our customers. As a global organization, we celebrate the uniqueness of our diverse employees and strive to create an inclusive culture. Our people are driven by our core values of safety, integrity and quality, and focused by our guiding principles. For more information visit our website www.fieldcore.com.
FieldCore is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law
FieldCore is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law