Discovery & Metadata Librarian
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Discovery & Metadata Librarian
Imagination, history, and science combine to create an exhilarating librarian experience for the perfect candidate at The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) on Mount Desert Island off the coast of Maine! JAX seeks a Discovery and Metadata Librarian to lead the Laboratory in defining and supporting library services. In this era of data science and digital information support services, JAX researchers are deeply involved in the development and maintenance of metadata standards for biomedical data, including mouse strain and gene nomenclature, gene ontology, mouse anatomy ontologies, and the mammalian and human ohenotype ontologies. The library also houses archival documents and artifacts that convey the nearly 100 year history of this unique institute.
As JAX expands its expertise in the area of genomic medicine, the Discovery and Metadata Librarian will function as a digital librarian, delivering training to JAX’s diverse workforce, as well as a biomedical librarian. Biomedical librarians assist in finding medical documents covering topics such as clinical trials, medical treatments or procedures, and other pertinent information that applies to the biomedical, research, and healthcare disciplines.
Libraries and librarians supporting a research institution like JAX face exciting new challenges, such as the need to offer a variety of data support services: information instruction and training, data management planning, guidance, stewardship, and curation. Linked data is a regular topic of discussion.
We seek a librarian and digital information resources specialist interested in participating in this new era of change, to lead the Library Sciences Service and work broadly with the entire JAX community and its collaborators to facilitate and embrace this change and to push the envelope of what this means to the future skills of Library and Library Data Services. The Jackson Laboratory Discovery and Metadata Librarian will join at an exciting time in genetics and genome sciences.
- Operational management of the Library includes print and electronic holdings, databases, reference resources, circulation, interlibrary loans, historical archives functions, and reporting staff. Management responsibilities include project management; subscription negotiations and purchasing; accessibility of biomedical information, research support and instruction in use of library information resources to JAX staff; direct supervision of library support staff; and tracking of library activity metrics for various internal and external reports. Attends linked data conferences and participates in Library of Congress efforts promoting linked data and linked data practices.
- Administrative Duties: Responsible for administrative aspects of Library Sciences operations, including management of Library operating and capital budgets; and maintaining financial records and billing through iLab;
- Customer Relations & User Communications: Direct interactions with faculty, research support staff, students, other institutional staff, and visitors, with basic and advanced library reference services.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school or Ph.D. in Life Sciences is required, with at least five years active professional experience working in an academic biological or medical sciences library environment preferred.
- 5+ years experience in personnel management including tasking, evaluation, skill building, training, and general staff performance management.
- Experience in budget development, planning and forecasting.
- Demonstrated success in establishing and sustaining effective teams and positive work environments.
- A strong public-service ethic and exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of: information technologies such as proxy servers, institutional repositories, and digital asset management and library informationa management systems; PubMed, Linkout, and MeSH, and other data repository and scientific publication services; bibliographic utilities, vendor cataloging services, authority control services, and automated routines for metadata maintenance.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX, ) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. A National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine, a facility in Sacramento, California, and a genomic medicine facility, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), in Farmington, Connecticut.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.