Research Assistant I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Research Assistant I
Research Associate, Research Assistant and Technician/Technologist
The Center for Biometric Analysis provides research space for performing whole animal in vivo phenotyping in depth and at scale, including physiology, cardiovascular and metabolic assessments; pre-clinical imaging modalities; and behavioral assessments including learning, memory, anxiety, depression, social behavior, addiction behavior and motor behavior. We are looking to recruit an adaptable, curious, and organized Research Assistant to perform characterization of mice using a subset of these phenotyping platforms.
- Conducts tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard or detailed protocol; identifies and documents variations that may affect the validity of the experiment.
- Data collection and analysis. Performs quality control, monitors data for accuracy, uploads data to database system within agreed upon timelines with supervisor.
- Validate and conduct studies based upon standard experimental protocols within the agreed upon timelines with supervisor/technical manager. Ensure functionality and maintenance of instrumentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 1-3 years of related experience.
- Mouse handling and husbandry skills preferred.
- Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel and Word.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information verbally and in written form.
- Ability to demonstrate effective mental concentration, visual attention and dexterity.
- Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program.
- Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
- Proven ability to organize time effectively and work under time constraints, meet deadlines and prioritize work.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday).
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX, ) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. A National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine, a facility in Sacramento, California, and a genomic medicine facility, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), in Farmington, Connecticut.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.