Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bath, ME 04530
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Staff Accountant at Bath Area Family YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The Staff Accountant also ensures a system of strong internal controls and fiscal soundness and provides direction and leadership for YMCA finance and business operations.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Translates organizational goals into executable plans with accountable staff and volunteers by defining tasks, milestones, and priorities for programs or projects; manages all functions of accounting, ensuring that legal and audit requirements are met, and that best practices and maximum efficiency are obtained.
2. Oversees and provides leadership to the annual budget process including: issuing guidelines and procedures; training staff, auditing budgets, overseeing data input and preparing reports.
3. Writes clearly and concisely, using correct grammar, vocabulary, and appropriate tone for the message or audience.
4. Manages the annual independent audit, the preparation of financial statements, the IRS 990 tax form and the YMCA annual C Trac report. Prepares or oversees the preparation of required audit schedules; maintains records; acts as liaison with YMCA Finance Committee and CEO.
5. Implements appropriate systems and internal controls to adequately safeguard the YMCAs financial resources and to provide a solid basis for accurately reporting financial data.
6. Prepares or supervises the preparation of outside reports and filings.
7. Oversees the month-end and year-end closings (Balance sheet and P&L) and the preparation of statements and reports to CEO and Board.
8. Monitors monthly financial operations, prepares analysis and reports, and gives guidance to executive and operating staff. Works closely with operations staff on issues that affect financial outcome. Secures and allocates program or project resources so that strategic objectives can be achieved. Prepares specific recommendations.
9. Reviews, updates, and/or develops internal control systems for the YMCA and oversees internal
audits which check for compliance on a variety of policies and standards. Provides recommendations for improvement.
10. Oversees and certifies the annual audit and meets periodically with the outside auditors to maintain communications and keep them informed of changes in the YMCA. Ensures that current accounting standards and legal requirements are met.
11. Actively engages the board in challenging conversations and decision making to advance the Y’s impact. Works directly with assigned committee(s) of the board (e.g., Finance, Insurance, Investment, Audit) to build volunteer relationships, develop policies, monitor their implementation and meet the related needs of the board.
12. Anticipates trends and their implications on the future of the organization. Manages investments, under the direction of the Board and CEO.
13. Develops performance indicators and measurement systems for tracking strategic plan objectives. Evaluates current business models and leads efforts to modify or redesign business models
14. Oversees preparation of tax returns including IRS Form 990 and Y of the USA’s C-Trac report.
15. Oversees the development of the annual operating budget, including all branch budgets. Guides the organization to make tough choices about what to stop, start, and continue. Works closely with operations staff to ensure that branch budgets are well-planned, realistic, and prepared in a timely manner.
16. Maintains all necessary records and accounting reports and records all transactions on a timely basis.
17. Maintains good working relationships with auditors, bankers, investment counselors, attorneys and other professional advisors.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent.
• Three or more years of related experience in accounting.
• Accounting experience in a nonprofit organization preferred.
• Previous supervisory experience preferred.
• Knowledge of, and expertise with, computerized accounting systems and
standard business software.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
• The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.