Chief Human Resources Officer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Chief Human Resources Officer
HR, Legal, Safety, and Administrative
As JAX is transitioning to a much larger scale organization both in science and innovation, the Board and leadership team are looking for a strategic CHRO with global and best practices environment experience.
Initially based in Bar Harbor, Maine, the CHRO will be responsible for establishing and activating a people strategy that advances the overall institutional and strategic direction of the organization. The CHRO must be an engaged leader with a deep commitment to equity and inclusion and in developing institutional strategies, improving institutional culture and building organizational capacities related to people and the work environment. They will be responsible for the design and operation of HR systems that support the employment of faculty, staff, and supervisors and developing and implementing personnel policies, procedures and programs that support the mission of the organization. The CHRO will provide functional leadership in the following areas: talent acquisition, succession planning, performance management, staff training and development, compensation, benefits/wellness, employee safety, employee relations, and compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The CHRO provides strategic leadership by articulating HR needs and making recommendations to the senior management team (SMT), stakeholders, and the board of trustees.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the HR function by overseeing talent acquisition, career development, employee relations, succession planning, retention, training, leadership development, total rewards, and HR technology- domestically and globally.
- Lead, engage, and develop a team of 42 HR, Employee Health & Safety professionals.
- Continue to build an efficient and data driven HR infrastructure.
- Create a people strategy aligned with the business, research, and organizational objectives of the organization.
- Develop a strong relationship of trust with the COO and Pres/CEO.
- Implement, own and communicate policies that promote the One JAX culture and vision.
- Recruit, motivate, and retain top talent for a world class research institution that advances the organization as an employer of choice.
- Develop talent acquisition strategies and programs to support the growth of the organization, especially in data science/IT and the trad Continue to build talent pipelines across the board.
- Develop comprehensive workforce development, strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the human capital needs of the organization and distinguish the organization as an employer of choice.
- Serve as trusted resource and advisor who promotes customer service, education and outreach to all JAX employees; serve as an agent for positive innovation, thoughtful leadership and best practices to the organization.
- Develop and implement market competitive and cost effective total rewards plans, ensuring effective recruitment and retention.
- Stand up an HR function in China.
- A BS/BA degree from an accredited college/university is required. An MBA or MA/MS preferred. Appropriate professional HR certification such as SHRM or SPHR, etc.
- A minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible HR management and leadership experience with at least 7 years at the executive level.
- Direct experience leading a distributed HR team across multiple sites and disparate business lines.
- Proven success in evaluating and recommending appropriate solutions to ensure HR is properly aligned to support an every growing and complex organization.
- Effectiveness in the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Experience working with enterprise-wide administrative systems and in analyzing personnel policies and business processes and workflows.
- Global HR experience preferred.
- Travel as appropriate to implement strategic HR initiatives, approximately 15-25%. Some international travel may be required.
Established in 1929, Jackson Labs (JAX) is a truly world-leading, nonprofit biomedical research institution with a bold mission—to discover precise genomic solutions to disease, and to empower the global biomedical research community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX is dedicated to discovering the genetic basis of diseases like cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, addiction, and immunological disorders to: extend our lives improve our health and, ultimately, provide personalized therapies to help treat, cure, or prevent disease.
A global leader in genetics research models, JAX is at a very interesting cross roads with its research (71 faculty), deep data in mammalian genetics and expertise in genomics. It employs around 2500 in Sacramento, CA, Farmington, CT and Bar Harbor, ME as well as a sales force in 17 states and employees in Germany, Denmark, and China. The CEO, Ed Liu is an oncologist by training and studies triple negative breast cancer. With $100M a year in federal and foundation research grants, and a $400M budget, JAX’s faculty studies cancer, the microbiome, neurodegenerative diseases, Alzheimer’s, and aging. JAX breeds, sells, and ships over 3 million research mice a year primarily to academia around the world (1500+ institutions) and to pharma/ biotech companies. In addition to research and the mouse business, JAX runs a small education department that delivers genetic course and educational materials around the world. The coming years will witness an intense period of growth for the laboratory as the institution will combine its extensive genetic expertise, large-scale research capacity, analytical power, and collaborative culture to better provide scientists with new insights into predicting, curing, and even preventing disease.
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, pre-employment physical, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
This search has been outsourced to Heidrick and Struggles. To apply or inquire please reach out to Irene Sitbon, Phone: (415) 291 5205, Email:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.