Research Assistant I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Research Assistant I
Research Associate, Research Assistant and Technician/Technologist
Our Metabolic Phenotyping team focuses on identifying robust and reliable metabolic phenotypes in genetic models of human diseases such as obesity and diabetes. Using the mouse as our model organism, we apply a range of gold standard and cutting edge technologies to study the phenotypic consequences of genetic manipulations. This includes indirect calorimetry, body composition assessment by nuclear magnetic resonance, glucose and insulin tolerance testing, and glucose clamps.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and skilled Research Assistant to perform metabolic and physiological characterization of mice using the above phenotyping assays. The day to day activities of the role will include schedule coordination, experimental design, developing and documenting methodology, conducting procedures, data collection, quality control and analysis, as well as assisting in the preparation of publications and reports.
- Conduct studies based upon standard operating procedures (SOPs). Ensure functionality of instrumentation and testing platforms. Execute experiments under rigorous scientific control. Write and maintain SOPs to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure the integrity, quality control and quality assurance of all data collected. Upload data to database system within agreed upon timelines.
- Analyze the data to identify parameters of interest, and generate reports for our investigators using the most suitable application e.g. PhenStat, Mouse Phenome Database, Excel or Prism statistical and graphing software.
- Comply with all ACUC regulations regarding the care and use of experimental animals, and remain current in relevant technologies and paradigms through literature search, attending seminars, workshops and courses.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 1-3 years of related experience
- Prior experience in mouse metabolic, cardiovascular and/or physiology phenotyping preferred
- Ability to demonstrate effective mental concentration, visual attention to detail and manual dexterity
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information verbally and in written form
- Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program
- Proven ability to organize time effectively and work under time constraints, meet deadlines and prioritize work
- Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel and Word
- Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday)
- Regular, reliable and consistent attendance
- Mouse handling and husbandry skills preferred
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX, ) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. A National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine, a facility in Sacramento, California, and a genomic medicine facility, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), in Farmington, Connecticut.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.