Full-Stack Scientific Software Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor | US-CT-Farmington
Full-Stack Scientific Software Engineer
Biostatistician, Computational Scientist, Scientific Software Engineer
The Computational Sciences group is looking for a creative Full-Stack software engineer with an interest in science. If you love to solve complex problems, and have some experience working with teams to build reliable and modern software, then we would love to have you join us on the leading edge of biomedical research.
This role will have a high impact on software projects supporting research at the forefront of genetics and genomics. This is an exciting opportunity to develop novel tools and processes for integrating existing web applications using modern technologies such as Service Mesh. The solutions you develop will lead to a better understanding of highly complex biological systems, and support the search for cures for cancer, diabetes, Alzheimers and other genitic disorders.
- Developing software applications in partnership with scientific research programs.
- Think creatively and learn quickly; it’s okay if you don’t already know anything about genetics – We will teach you.
- Function as part of a highly productive software team and work closely with researchers across three campuses to develop tools and web-applications to aid in their research.
- Contribute to large complex projects with team members including software engineers, bioinformatics analysts, statisticians and scientists.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a cross-section of tools and techniques relating to support of single-page web applications.
- Manage your time while working on up to two projects at the same time.
- Willingness to travel periodically between Bar Harbor and Farmington, CT campuses as well as occasionally for conferences and workshops.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, information science or equivalent on-the-job experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in software development required
- A passion for learning science and new technologies
- Experience with both front-end and back-end software development (familiarity with both Python and Angular are desired but not required)
- Experience with operational tools such as Git, JetBrains IDE products (PyCharm, Idea), continuous integration tools such as Jenkins or Bamboo, Atlassian Suite
- Experience with and capable of working in an agile development environment
- Experience in identifying and developing software applications in the biomedical sciences and/or bioinformatics is a plus
- Experience with database management systems. Knowledge beyond just relational (NoSQL, Graph) considered a plus
- Knowledge of Linux environments
- Knowledge in statistics, biology, genetics/genomics is a plus
Computational Sciences at The Jackson Laboratory
Computational Sciences is a central department that runs a fully integrated comprehensive collaborative program in bioinformatics and computational biology in all major areas of research and development at The Jackson Laboratory. Our focus is to adopt and innovate-in emerging technological opportunities and make leading contributions to the scientific programs at The Jackson Laboratory. The program is delivered by an agile group of 40+ highly dynamic and experienced computational scientists and software engineers whose team-focused scientific work is supported by well-established project management and collaboration with IT. The staff of Computational Sciences published 130+ papers in 5year span, including reviews and book chapters, in a wide variety of research topics; participate as primary authors in 15+ grant applications/year; delivered numerous talks at International meetings; co-leading the informatics components of number of research programs such as Mouse Phenome Database, Genetic Diversity Initiative, Center for Systems Neurogenetics of Addiction, Single Cell Genomics and Patient Derived Xenografts.
The Jackson Laboratory
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, ) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,500 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine; and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM); a new genomic medicine facility in Farmington, CT that is enabling the Laboratory to translate its fundamental science into the clinic; JAXWest; a facility in Sacramento, CA that focuses in in vivo services and research. The Jackson Laboratory has number of well-established : NCI-designated Cancer Center, Aging, NIH funded Center for Precision Genetics, Center for Systems Neurogenetics of Addiction Alzheimer’s Disease Center are a few.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.