Molecular & Cell Biology Technician/Technologist
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Job LocationsUS-ME-Bar Harbor
Molecular & Cell Biology Technician/Technologist
Research Associate, Research Assistant and Technician/Technologist
The Reinholdt lab is seeking a motivated, detail-oriented Cell Culture Technician/Technologist to join our team at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine. The successful candidate will have a key technical role in supporting the cellular laboratory capabilities of Genetic Resource Science (GRS). GRS initiates and develops resource-generating research addressing a broad range of disease models. Current projects to which this individual will be assigned involve the production of induced pluripotent stem cells, embryonic stem cells, the use of CRISPR based genome editing technologies, and the generation of biomaterials from multiple cell lineages. Core responsibilities include mammalian cell culture, preparation of cell culture media and reagents, routine maintenance of multiple cell culture facilities, and the execution of molecular biology protocols. Although previous cell culture experience is preferred, a candidate with a proven track record of focus, organization, and the ability to follow SOPs while maintaining meticulous records will be considered.
- Mammalian cell culture – Derive, maintain, and genetically modify mammalian cell lines using established SOPs and aseptic techniques while ensuring health and developmental potency of cell lines for subsequent use. Reproducibility and detailed documentation is critical.
- General laboratory operations – Preparation of reagants, maintenance of inventories, cleaning and stocking of shared cell culture facilities
- Molcular biology – With sufficient training, execute and document established molecular biology protocols with highly reproducible results in an efficient and timely manner. Techniques include PCR, DNA/RNA extraction, sequencing, plasmid cloning and scaled preparation.
- Data collection and analysis – Performs quality control, monitors data for accuracy, uploads data to database system within agreed upon timelines with supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR equivalent wet lab experience (described below).
- At the Technician level, Minimum of one year experience, preferably in a molecular or cell culture based laboratory. With training, executes laboratory procedures according to existing protocols, collects data, and reports data through existing laboratory information management systems.
- At the Technologist level, Minimum of 2 years’ experience performing molecular biology and cell culture-based research. Executes laboratory procedures according to existing protocols, collects data, interprets data in collaboration with supervisor, reports data through existing laboratory information management systems.
- Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel and Word, ability to learn and employ sample database systems.
- Superior organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple demands and work efficiently under pressure
- Ability to demonstrate effective mental concentration, visual attention and dexterity.
- Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program.
- Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday).
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, Calif., and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.