Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Hampden, ME 04444
The Recycling Technicians will man one of 15 stations along the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) line at the facility. The position will be responsible for identifying and removing any unsuitable material from the processing line or pulling recyclables from the line and depositing in the appropriate receptacle. The position will rotate to different stations during the shift and is required to be very detail oriented and able to maintain focus during an 8-hour shift. The position works around a moving conveyor and must be very focused on safety and willing to look out for the safety of themselves as well as other members of the team. The ability to operate a forklift or heavy equipment, or the ability to become qualified on that equipment will be considered a plus.
The MRF will normally operate Monday through Saturday, and the position will require working either 10-hour days OR 1st or 2nd shift pending the needs of the plant. Typical hours will be 0700 to 1730, 0700 to 1530, or 1530 to midnight, depending on operating schedule.
- Identify and remove non-processable material from a moving conveyor.
- Visibly identify potential hazards or items which may impact the operation of the line and stop the process until such hazards can be removed.
- Practice work with a high level of safety, while wearing all personal protective equipment (PPE) to include hard hats, steel toed boots, safety glasses, hearing protection, and gloves.
- Must communicate and work well with others.
- This position requires someone to be very detail oriented, and the ability to focus on repetitive tasks.
- The position requires extensive housekeeping duties and the ability to use small tools
- Required to become lockout/tagout (LOTO) and fall protection qualified and operate a manlift.
- Be able to become qualified in other areas of plant operation for unplanned vacancies or upgrades.
- Complete other tasks as requested by the MRF Supervisor and plant management.
Safety is a core value of NAES and as a condition of employment, all employees are expected to be mentally alert and work safely at all times. Additionally, employees are required to adhere to all safety warnings and posted safety signs whenever on company property. Furthermore, employees must follow all NAES safety rules and procedures. Effectiveness in carrying out this responsibility is part of the evaluation of each employee’s performance.
The Recycling Technician reports to the MRF Supervisor.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical requirements include the possibility of standing for extended periods, stair and ladder climbing and lifting up to 50 pounds. Protective equipment must be worn in the performance of some duties (e.g. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, etc.).
- Position requires extended working hours and varied shifts with weekend and holiday work, as required by schedules. This position will also require overtime work as needed.
- All employees will participate in the Fitness for Duty Program. This program includes a post-offer physical examination and drug screening and post-employment random drug screening. There are extensive smoking restrictions in and around the facility.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Vocational High School training preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to operate a piece of equipment via a Human Machine Interface (HMI) computer screen as required.
- Ability to communicate via radio in a clear, concise, and professional manner.
- Demonstrated history of being able to reliably show up to work on time and work with a good attitude.
- Some employment history preferred.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Safety and Environmental Compliance need to be your #1 Priority.
- Good critical thinking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of individuals, from hourly workers to senior management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong teamwork orientation.
- Positive attitude and professional customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Detail oriented.
It is the practice of NAES to seek employees of the highest quality and to select the individuals on the basis of merit and competence, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, military status or affiliation protected under USERRA, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by applicable local laws and regulations.**